A perfect way of life chosen by Allah Almighty. Just as a wife is incomplete without a husband, so a husband is incomplete without a wife. By creation, Almighty Allah has created this relationship to be mutually supportive and complementary. The Prophet (PBUH) said, “Women are half of the men”. (Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi) This world would never have been perfected by Hazrat Adam (a.s.) alone, and therefore the arrival of Hawa (a.s.) was brought about by Almighty Allah.
Just as a husband has some rights or rights toward a wife, so also a wife has some rights or rights toward a husband. Allah Almighty says in the Holy Qur’an, “Men are responsible to women, since Allah has given preference to one over the other, and they spend from their wealth.” Almighty Allah said in the verse, “There is no birth difference between you and your wife. Allah created Hawa (A.S.) from the left breast bone of Hazrat Adam (A.S.). So it is said that women are part of men”. If any part of your body is hurt, you feel pain. Take care not to get hurt. Therefore, take care of your wife, she is also a part of your body. She came to you through Ijab Qabul, treat your wife as you treat your body.
Just as you expect from your wife loving soft and devotional words, you also talk to her in such a way that love and affection flow from your words. Almighty Allah says, ‘Behave well with them (wives). And even if you dislike him, perhaps Allah will give you unlimited good in what you dislike.’ (Surah: Nisa, verse: 19) The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, ‘No believing man will be angry with a believing woman.
For if he finds a deed bad, then he will have such a quality that he can be satisfied with it’. (Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 1469) Another hadith states that ‘The best of you are those who treat their wives well.’ When you eat, you feed him and when you dress, you wear him.
[3:44 pm, 27/08/2022] MA Mustak: Never hit on his face. Do not misbehave with him.’ (Abu Dawud, Hadith: 2142; Musnad Ahmad, Hadith: 18501)
Duties of a husband towards his wife: In order to maintain a happy married life, orderly family, and altruistic and prosperous husband-wife bond, Islam has imposed certain rights on the husband. Some important ones are given here.
(1) Payment of dowry: It is obligatory for women to pay dowry. This right is not his own, his parent’s, or anyone else. Allah Ta’ala says in the Holy Qur’an, “Give dowry to wives with cheerful hearts.” (Surah Nisa, verse 4).
(2) Accommodation: Safe accommodation or safe accommodation. That is, to provide a house or room for the husband and wife to live in, in which no one (except the husband) can enter without the permission of the wife. Not even the husband’s parents, brothers, and sisters. In order to protect the personal safety and privacy of the wife, she can also use the lock in this room or room if necessary. No one but the husband can pry into the wife’s personal or private affairs.
No one can search the wife’s suitcase, trunk, and closet except the husband. If the behaviour or behaviour of a wife is disliked by the in-laws, she should be given a separate house or house. The husband should also arrange to wash the clothes used by the wife and keep a servant to catch the wife’s dirty clothes. (Sharhe Bekaya, Kitabun Nikah).
(3) Maintenance of wife: It is the duty of the husband to maintain his wife according to his ability and customary practice. This maintenance can be more or less based on the husband’s ability and the .wife’s needs. In the same way, it can vary between time and place. Almighty Allah says in the Holy Qur’an, ‘The rich will spend according to his wealth. And the owner of limited wealth will spend only from the limited wealth given by Allah. Allah does not order anyone to spend more than what He has given. (Surah: Talaq, verse: 7).
(4) Being affectionate and kind to wife: Not being harsh towards the wife. To be patient by forgiving his tolerable mistakes. As husbands, all should know that even if women occupy all possible seats of dignity, it is not possible to be completely reformed.
Rasulullah (s.a.w.) said that, ‘Be kind to women. Because they are formed by rib bones. The bone above the rib is the most curved.’ (The bone from which women are created) If you want to straighten it, break it. If left in this condition again, it will remain bent. So be kind to them, and accept good advice about them.’ (Sahih Bukhari).
(5) To be careful and careful towards the wife: holding them by the hand and guiding them in the right way. Because they are weak by nature, they will be harmed by any indifference of the husband, and harm others. For this reason, the Prophet (PBUH) warned very carefully against the seduction of women. He said, “I have not left any fitnah more harmful for men than for women.” (Sahih Bukhari, Hadith No: 4706).
(6) Being self-respecting towards the wife: The Prophet (PBUH) said regarding self-respect towards the women, ‘You are surprised to see the emotion and self-respect of Sa’ad. I have more self-respect than him, and Allah is more arrogant than me.’ (Sahih Muslim, Hadith No: 2755).
Shaykhul Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (R.A.) said, He who has no sense of self-respect is a dayush (husband of an adulterous woman, who tolerates the misdeeds of his wife). The hadith states: ‘Dayyush will not enter Paradise’ (Darami: 3397).
In addition to the above, a wife has some other rights over a husband which are listed below:
1. Not neglecting to pay maintenance and expenses according to ability,
2. Providing religious masala-masael education to the wife,
3. To inspire good deeds,
4. Providing opportunities to meet with those whom Islam has permitted to meet.
5. To urge to maintain kinship relationships,
6. Be patient if there is any kind of mistake or carelessness,
7. Balancing governance and corrections,
8. Paying Mahr,
9. Conquering the wife’s heart within the limits of Islamic law,
10. If there is more than one wife, to maintain equality among them,
11. not to torture, etc. Finally, it can be said that a wife is a consort, a concubine, and a mother of children; So the wife is a bride of honor.
A wife has many rights; There are also some responsibilities and duties. If both husband and wife and their families practice it knowing the limits of their rights and duties, it will be good for the family.